May 31, 2013, All day
The colloquium to commemorate the 80th birthday of Professor Georges Abi-Saab was held on the 31st of May 2013. Sponsored and organized by the African Association of International Law, the African Foundation for International Law and the Graduate Institute of International and Development Studies.
The colloquium was well attended by prominent international law scholars and practitioners including H.E. Judge Abdulqawi Yusuf, Professor Pierre-Marie Dupuy, and Professor Chris Maina Peter.
Opening speeches were made on behalf of the sponsoring organisations. Professor Marcelo Kohen, speaking on behalf of the Graduate Institute of International and Development Studies, highlighted Professor Abi-Saab’s immense contribution to international law, noting in particular his widespread influence on generations of international law scholars. Dr. Edward Kwakwa, Vice-President of the African Foundation for International Law detailed Professor Abi-Saab’s involvement in the formation of the African Foundation for International Law and his role as the Foundation’s President. Subsequently, Dr. Olufemi Elias addressed Professor Abi-Saab’s role in the creation of the African Association of International Law, one of the first academic societies on the continent established to foster the development and dissemination of African perspectives and practices of international law.
- 10.00: Participants’ greetings
- 10.10 – 10.30 : Welcome speeches
- 10.30 – 12.00 : Panel I. Peace, Security and Human Rights in Africa
- Chair: Professor Pierre-Marie DUPUY, Graduate Institute of International and Development Studies
- Judge Fatsah OUGUERGOUZ, Vice-President, African Court of Human and Peoples’ Rights
- Dr. Mutoy MUBIALA, Human Rights Officer, UN Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights
- Dr. Djacoba L. TEHINDRAZANARIVELO, Lecturer, Boston University Study Abroad Geneva & Institute of Human Rights, Catholic University of Lyon
- 14.00 – 15.30 : Panel II. Frontiers in Africa
- Chair : Professor Marcelo KOHEN, Graduate Institute of International and Development Studies
- Professor Georges ABI-SAAB, Graduate Institute of International and Development Studies
- Dr. Olufemi A. ELIAS, Executive Secretary, World Bank Administrative Tribunal
- Dr. Mamadou HEBIE, Lecturer, Graduate Institute of International Studies and Development – Master in International Dispute Settlement Programme
- 15.30 – 15.45 : Coffee break
- 15.45 – 17.30 : Panel III. Africa and the Future of International Law
- Chair : Professor Georges ABI-SAAB, Graduate Institute of International and Development Studies
- Judge Abdulqawi A. YUSUF, International Court of Justice
- Dr. Edward KWAKWA, Legal Counsel, World Intellectual Property Organization
- Dr. Jumoke ODUWOLE, Lecturer, Faculty of Law, University of Lagos, Nigeria